Teachers who systematically utilize the full range of non-verbal management skills are able to reinforce consistent and fair parameters while preserving their relationships with each student, regardless of unique learning styles or cultural backgrounds.In other words:
ENVoY is the science and art of non-verbal communication as it relates to teaching and learning.
The 7 Gems of ENVoY are:
- Freeze Body
- ABOVE (Pause) Whisper
- Raise Your Hand vs. Speak Out
- Visual Exit Directions
- Most Important Twenty Seconds
- Influence Approach
The 7 Gems are applied to the four stages of teaching with specific actions:
- Getting Their Attention
- Transition to Seatwork
Effective implementation of initiatives requires:
- Staff Development: Initial and follow-up training for staff provides the basics of the skills being learned.
- Coaching: Trained professionals who watch and give feedback to participants is essential for ensuring that the skills will take hold.
- Monitoring: Supervisors provide accountability to ensure that all parts of the initiative are being implemented and that staff have the tools and inspiration they need to succeed.
- Data Collection: Doing scans to collect data helps provide feedback for monitoring.